doesnt matter

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Some updates on things

I know I didn't scan yesterday's doodle in yet, it needs to be darkened first, I'll do that when I do today's.

The Bigger, better news is about the next project I intend to do. First is a primer on what it is. The project is an exercise in creative problem solving: I am taking the prompts from Noah's book and combining them with a subject to be determined by clicking the "random page" link on Wikipedia. It sounds pretty fun to me. The good news about the prompts is that they have no dates on them, I thought they were specifically dated, and my OCD would have made it impossible for me to 1) not do the prompts on the dates given, 2) not do them in order starting on January 1st. The fact that all they say is Day 1, Day 2, etc, gives me some freedom from myself. Also looking through the prompts I saw some that require going outside to find things, which in Wisconsin need to not be done with snow on the ground. Though now that I think about it those things could be collected at any point and kept somewhere until the day they are needed, except that means any organic material needs to already be dead when collected... Aw hell, like I said, I'll just make sure I start this project at a date where the outdoor things can be done in reasonable weather.

Anyway, some of the prompts need to be modified or interpreted in ways to work with my resources and desires for an art project. In other words, for a prompt that says, for example, write a ten word love story, bonus: illustrate it, I'll be illustrating a love story based on the random subject. This is part of the whole problem solving thing. How do I make the prompts work, bend them to still be relevant (if they need bending at all),so I can use them for a visual arts project. Also how can I use the random subjects indirectly? For example getting a page like 1982 World Series I could use inspiration from one of the teams involved in combination with the prompt and make something about beer (the Brewers were one of the teams in that WS).

So that's what's going on today. I do need help from anyone who may read this though, I want an opinion. Should I make a list of random subjects, as in click the random page link 365 times and write down everything I get so I can think ahead a little bit. Or should I wait until, say, the night before to find out what my subject will be each day? So find the subjects either one year or one day in advance, let me know what you think and give me your reasoning.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, that sounds like a really interesting and challenging project! I'm looking forward to reading about it!
    Concering the question about planning ahead: I'd probably be worried that having only a day to come up with something is too difficult for some prompts... Then again, if you choose all your topics now, you might miss whatever great new topics will come up throughout the next year. I would probably go for some kind of compromise like picking the topics for the upcoming week or so in advance.
    But anyway, I think it's a great idea! :)
    Cheers!
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really good alternate option, and one that I actually think makes a lot of sense. So much so that I think I'll use it. Maybe not exactly, but maybe two weeks or a month ahead. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it :D

    ReplyDelete